We used to be plant killers too!
We've been there - we (Seana + Yair) used to not be able to keep any plants alive and decided to do whatever research and testing it took to figure it out.
Turns out, most plants are sold in a way that sets us up for failure - bad soil, wrong planters and incorrect plant tips.
We knew that plants improve focus and are scientifically proven to make us happy so instead of resigning ourselves to being plant killers for life, we spent years developing our own plant science and have made it our mission to help other plant killers who are plant lovers.
At Tierra Sol Studio, we design and grow hardy hand grown plants, make hand formed ceramics for the needs of each plant, hand mixed soils, signature sand that slow releases water to the roots of the plants, and easy to follow plant care instructions for each plant—for plant killers who are plant lovers.
We use only the highest quality and lowest maintenance plants. We grow all of our plants in our greenhouses designed to acclimate plants to indoor light conditions. Yair and I craft each ceramic piece with our own hands through hand building or wheel throwing. We fire each planter using an unconventional method to make pots that are absorbent like terra cotta and best fit the needs of each plant.
Over the past 6 years we've seen countless plant killers who are plant lovers turn into just plain old plant lovers and have been able to expand and grow into a team and we couldn’t do it all without our Operations Manager and shipper, Annsley, and our shipping assistant, Andrea, (plus two little kiddos, Oliver and Naiomi). Every single order passes through each of our hands at least twice before it gets to you and we make sure to put all the love and detail into each plant kit before it reaches you.
Thanks for being here! If you have any questions about which plants are right for your space, just send us a message!
Now you too can have an Instagram page dedicated to your plant hoarding! You know you want to…
Seana + Yair
We actively strive to make our company a place where team members:
- Are welcomed, respected, supported, and asked to participate and to lead.
- Are able to share knowledge, skills, connections, and opportunities that other team members may have not been given or have access to.
- Feel safe and valued no matter their race, ethnicity, immigration or citizenship status, the language(s) they speak or don't, their class, gender, sexuality, or ability.
- Are valued no matter their position, time in the company, or previous experience.
We actively strive to make our company a place where we:
- Pay a living wage.
- Value the lives of employees outside of work and respect boundaries and time away from work.
- Are transparent and honest with employees about the business and decisions that we make.
- Continuously recognize the ways in which white supremacist values are embedded into work culture, and within the culture outside of work, and actively work to dismantle those values in our space and further decolonize our workplace.
- To provide regular anti-racist education by DEI professionals for ourselves and our team.
- To enact company policies that allow for all employees to avoid any kind of mental distress such as microaggressions, harassment, or any form of discomfort, and to address complaints of any kind with people who have the skills to address these issues.
- Demonstrate the value of mental health through company policies that allow for work to happen only during work hours and for all employees to avoid any kind of mental distress via customer service. Our company will strive to be a safe space where people treat each other with respect. No employee will be required to address aggressive behavior from any customer or potential customer.
- Seek diverse perspectives, cultures, and abilities and actively hire BIPOC and people with different abilities.
- Work towards equity by providing the resources and tools needed to have an equitable workplace over an equal workplace, where everyone has what they need to thrive.
- Create an inclusive environment that ensures people with different identities are able to lead and succeed in self determined and genuine ways.
- Promote growth and professional development.
- Build community with other small businesses that share these values, especially BIPOC owned businesses in order to provide support, share information, and create more equity in shared business knowledge.