“Are your plants safe for my pet?”
This is one of the most common questions we get! If you are a pet lover and a plant lover, we know you want to make sure all of your babies are happy and healthy.
One of our favorite features of our new website is our collections that make finding the perfect plant easier for you - including a section all about which plants are non-toxic for pets!
Some of our favorite plants that have been named as non-toxic for pets according to the ASPCAs non-toxic plant list are:
- Zebra Plants
- Cacti - always use your own judgment when it comes to your pet and cacti spines. Many animals use their whiskers to know that they cannot touch a cactus (don’t confuse with Euphorbias - they look like cacti but are not - they have thorns rather than spines and are toxic to pets)
- Polka Dot Plants
- Spider Plants
"Also, be advised that the consumption of any plant material may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal upset for dogs and cats.” - ASPCA
Tips on how to keep your plants safe from your pets:
- Come up with a creative display to keep your plants out of reach:
- Set up in a hanging planter
- Install some high shelves
- Use a tall plant stand
- Place on a surface that does not have enough room for your pet to sit on
- Display in a room or location that your pet does not have easy access to or is not allowed in
- Cats HATE tin foil - leave a sheet of it under your plant for a couple weeks until they lose interest and then when you remove it, they'll no longer bother your precious plants!
- Train your pets to leave your plants alone (similar to potty training!)
We recently adopted a bunny we named Horchata and are adding another one, so pet friendly plants have been on our minds a lot lately! It’s important to us that our bunny and our plant babies are all happy, healthy, and living together well. We have a lot of plants that are toxic to animals so we moved them up off the floor.
We know it’s not always easy to figure out which plants are okay for pets, but we want all you pet and plant parents to rest easy knowing that we’re going through the same thing and are making it easy for you to grow your plant collection while keeping your fur babies safe.